Monday, May 31, 2010

I (heart) City Life.

City living is rough sometimes.  The traffic, the litter, the junkies...sometimes it can just get to a gal.  Recently, our car was broken into while parked right near our house. My next door neighbor and I both had potted plants stolen off of our stoops. The rats have even made a home outside of our kitchen.  A mouse just ran across my floor as I wrote this. 

+++

Here in Baltimore, there is an infamous bumper sticker that says (across a happy, yellow background) "I (heart) City Life". 

While I wholeheartedly agree that living in the city has advantages galore in terms of art, music, food, and culture, I'm almost sure it was the Baltimore Police that devised the bumper sticker as a means to propagate urban living in this, a widely depressed city.  But, I digress...

The one thing most cities are missing? The thing I miss most living in a city?  Clean, green, quiet, open space. 

Sometimes, when all the frustrations and annoyances of urban life begin to mount, open space is just what is needed. 

+++

Any chance Ryan and I can get to see a little more green and a few less people, we jump.

This weekend we hopped, skipped, and drove to Loch Raven Reservoir for a little nature hunting.  Not even 10 miles from the heart of the Baltimore lies this fantastic nature reserve.  Brimming with fresh spring foliage and the sounds of baby birds, it was a perfect way to start the weekend.   


There's a little speck of blue in the middle there, that's Ryan.


We saw a herd of baby deer on the trail , very sweet!








Green trees and fresh air!

Thank you nature for replenishing me with healthy oxygen levels and allowing me to re-enter the urban landscape feeling renewed.  Sometimes it's just what a gal needs.

+++

How did you spend your weekend? Was there any nature involved? I'd love to hear, so leave a comment below, if you like. 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note!