Thursday, July 1, 2010

Back in Balmy Bawlmer

Monday night I took the red eye from Seattle back "home" to Baltimore.  As expected, I'm not sure I would recommend flying overnight, but since it was the cheapest option, it worked. 

After getting off the plane around 5:50 am, I stepped outside to sunny 75 degree temperatures, complete with healthy dose of humidity.  Luckily, the last few days have been in the lower 80's and not as oppressive as the 90+ degree heat I missed while trolling through the Pacific Northwest. 

I guess I never realized or fully appreciated, having lived in the PNW my entire life, just how crisp the air smells.  I forgot how cool the evenings feel after sunset, how breezy the wind carries itself through the trees, and yes, how low those damn gray clouds press down from the sky like a smothering pillow of existential oppression.  I don't miss the gray, the rain, or the constantness (is that a word?) of the gloom.  But, the sunny days are incomparable. I'll give you that, Seattle.

Nothing beats an afternoon of pondering at Gasworks Park

In other news, I'm happy to report that upon arrival, there are no visible signs of our kitchen mouse!  Sadly though, my radish crop looks horrible.  I'm not sure how it's possible to grow radishes improperly, but somehow my radishes are tiny, chewy and horrible.  Maybe there's hope for the beets?

Looking forward to a long, warm and sunny summer.  But definitely missing those I love.

xoxo

+++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note!